Wednesday 24 July 2013

Being On Purpose


I just got a major insight this week. I learned that, in order for me to be generous and give space to others, I need to give enough space ... and time. Specifically, if I get enough sleep, get up early enough and have enough time to get ready and head out the door, then I am no longer rushing around in the rat race with others and resenting them, all on our way to work or school or elsewhere.

After trying for some time to get myself in order, I finally got tired of the delay-rage I felt daily as I flew out the door and through transit to work or to appointments. I much prefer the relaxed, accommodating state of mind that comes with have room to breathe and enough time to get to where I need to go: other people become not obstacles, but fellow travelers in life. It is not easy, as I have to confront my own laziness and procrastination as well as my OCD tendencies which have long derailed my best laid plans to honour my commitments properly, but I am in this for the long haul.

I am finding being on purpose in my daily life much better than being on automatic pilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment