Tuesday 11 June 2013

Lady Willpower



Confidence is everything. I'm not trying to sound cliched, but one of the many things that I've learned over the past couple of years of coming out in larger and larger concentric circles is that if I carry on presenting as myself like nothing's amiss, others will too: for the most part, anyway. Confidence has also gotten me through some, thankfully uncommon, situations where folks who have clocked me laugh or stare and whisper amongst themselves.




This summer seems, I have felt my confidence blossom and along with it my fashion sense. Of course, I am forever taking cues from decades long ago for my outfits and accessories, and Mad Men, of course has been one of my main inspirations. This season (set in 1968) the shifts, white boots, shear tights and eye popping patterns have infiltrated my night and daydreams. I have been steadily adding these elements, and even whole outfits to my wardrobe. And this only further boosts my confidence as I continue to walk tall ... in style.

Here are some of my favourite looks from that year:














Freedom, creativity, an art-as-life anything goes attitude pervaded fashion that year. It could be futuristic (silver outfits), nostalgic (1920s silent film chic), psychedelic, ethnic, minimal, street fighter tough (leather three-quarter coats and berets), unisex or high femme. I find myself tapping into the creative power of that year and using it to go forward in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment